3.02.2014

Brazil by OPI - Liquid Sands Pt 2

I didn't want to waste your time by posting a lot here but I really do love these. My overall impression of the collection is that the packaging is nice, I'm sad they're only minis, it takes 2 thick or 3 thin coats to get opacity, and it takes less than 5 minutes to be dry to the touch but about 15-20 to be completely dry. 

Here are just some bottle shots to show you the size in case you don't know what a mini looks like. The small bottle can be a little hard to handle but it's best if you just take your time. The bottle I used was Samba-dy Loves Purple.
Mini bottle :)

shows how small the brush is, so don't rush it when you dip it in for  some polish!

What I liked most about these polishes:
I'm a fan of liquid sands. I feel that OPI has got the formula down pat and if it's not broke, why fix it? Today I'm going to be looking at What's A Little Rain Forest? (blue) and You're So Flippy Floppy (yellow). Though they are textured, they have a smooth application with no problems. It's super easy application and I used thinner coats for both. I have nothing more I can rave about except these are solid polishes from a solid line.

Things you should know about it:
It is best to use a thicker coat because the brush is smaller and I'll repeat what I said last time: The bottle is mini so the brush is a bit smaller. Be a little careful when you put the brush back into the bottle. On my nails, the brush flattened out and widened as I applied so when I went for a double dip a few of the bristles would knock the rim of the bottle (like the picture above). Need to be a bit more careful so you don't tip it over. On some of them there is VNL, but is easily avoidable with thicker coats. Also, be patient with the dry time - it took me about 2 mins to be dry to the touch, but around 10-15 to be dry completely. I've also read some people it took 20 minutes to dry.

What I didn't like about it:
Asides them being mini? Well not much but I did get some staining from A Little Rain Forest. I didn't put any base coat on when I swatched them because lezbehonest, I was too lazy, but I'd definitely recommend it so you don't get any smurf hands.

WOC Friendly?
YES. I'm going to go buy another box of these in fact… #addictproblems

Availability
I've seen them in regular salons like Chatters with the rest of the collection and it's their most recent collection so it should be relatively easy to find. However, if you can't find it, nailpolishcanada.com has them and that's where I bought them from. Whole collection was $17 CAD. I've seen them kicking around for $14 in some places!

Pictures
All have 2 layer of the OPI liquid sands with NO topcoat. First is A Little Rain Forest and then second is You're So Flippy Floppy.

OPI What's a little rain forest?
direct sunlight
HOLLLAAAAAAA! WHAT A BLUE! You know, of all four liquid sands - NONE of them disappointed. Honestly, each colour is different than any other liquid sands they've put out and it's really refreshing. It was also -29 outside so I shot the pictures behind the window but with direct sunlight.


OPI What's a little rain forest?
direct sunlight
Though my pictures don't really show it, the polish had a cool blue/green micro shimmer in it. Which gave the polish a bit more depth…


OPI What's a little rain forest?
low lighting - shade // no additional lighting in room
Especially in shade/low lighting. It's still a bright blue but there's a hint of the sea in this colour. It really does remind me of a mermaid or the Caribbean.


direct sunlight
I swatched the yellow one first, and found the texture more subtle. But when I swatched the blue one I found it was more noticeable.


OPI What's a little rain forest?
direct sunlight - I also thing I jacked this hand pose from someone… oops!
I did one really thin coat to start and a much thicker second coat. I recommend a thicker coat because the brush is a bit smaller so it makes it easier to apply - or at least I found that.


OPI What's a little rain forest?
direct sunlight

To be real, I expected What's a Little Rain Forest? to be my favourite - I mean it's a phenomenal colour. It's like POW in your face. It's got a great depth to it despite it being one colour. It's awesome, really. This is definitely my most favourite blue liquid sand… however, it's not my favourite of the collection. THAT honour belongs to:

OPI You're So Flippy Floppy
direct sunlight
YOU'RE SO FLIPPY FLOPPY!!!!!
Oh my freaking GAWD, I just about died when I swatched this, it is the stunnah of the collection for me. 


OPI You're So Flippy Floppy
direct and apparently blinding sunlight
This angle washes the vividness of the yellow but it looks great no matter what.


OPI You're So Flippy Floppy
low light - shade // no additional lighting in room
Though you have some VNL, I tested a third coat on my thumb after I took the pictures and from what I could tell, it made the VNL almost fully disappear. So if you hate that sheer VNL thing, a good thick 3 coats of this baby will fix it up for you.


low light - shade // no additional lighting in room
I honestly think this colour is unique - especially for being a textured polish. If you don't own a yellow this would be great to have because you don't get the usual streakiness associated with yellows in this polish.


OPI You're So Flippy Floppy
direct sunlight
Of the entire collection of liquid sands, this one was the smoothest. I'm not really sure if that was just my mind playing tricks on me, but I felt it had the least amount of grit.


direct sunlight
And the best part of this polish is that it's a true yellow. It's NOT gold. Nope, definitely NOT gold. So you don't have to worry about that if you're not a fan of gold, this is like a buttercup yellow or daisy yellow… are those even real yellow descriptions? Sorry I'm not good at describing colours hehe…


OPI You're So Flippy Floppy
direct sunlight


Anyways, I just love the whole liquid sand collection. They have no issues with application, they are very easy to remove (more so than other more glittery liquid sands), and have a good amount of texture to them. The only two issues with them are the longish dry time (less than 5 for dry to the touch, about 15 for complete dryness). The colours are great for summer (even though its a spring collection) and I can't wait to wear them. All four colours are extremely flattering on my skin tone and I think they would look bomb on darker skin in general. What do y'all think??

peace n love

1 comment:

  1. My favorite one is definitely the blue (surprise, surprise haha)... I love how the yellow looks on you! I've tried yellow on me before though and it looked so wrong :( I WAS SO UPSET

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, means a lot!!