2.06.2014

WOC Nude Series: OPI You Callin' Me A Lyre?

OPI You Callin Me A Lyre?
3 coats, indoors office lighting
I'm not sure if it's just me or not but being a WOC in a beauty world mostly controlled by fair skin means I run into some problems. I want to do a certain look or something and sometimes it's really hard for me to find what I need to get that certain look I'm going for. Don't worry this ain't no pity party because there are some trends and colours that WOC can pull off like no tomorrow.

One of the things I've been convinced brown girls can't pull off is a nude lip and a nude nail. I will probably post on my other blog about the nude lip. But for now my focus in on nude nails.

I don't know why I'm so drawn to it but I love the gentle and sheer nail polish look that looks clean and fresh. I always look at swatches but I find my biggest problem is that I can't see what it looks like on a darker skinned hand. I've bought a couple duds out there (like Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Quick Sand) that just look so terrible. They look stark and just have a weird effect. I'll swatch a couple of the ones I bought that I personally hate on my nails. But then I saw a few swatches of the NYC Ballet Collection (NYC Ballet Soft Shades by Scrangie - her swatches are fucking amazing) and I just had to get them. After looking at her page I narrowed it down to 3 of the 6 available. I loved the look of You Callin' Me a Lyre? so I did some research into the name and stumbled upon their website.
The lyre, in a number of different forms, has served as the official symbol of New York City Ballet. It was the favorite instrument of the god Apollo. It represents the classical standards of harmony, form, balance and purity – ideals which the Company continues to define through the timeless art of dance. (source: NYCBallet)
I gotta say, looking at the nailpolish it is a nice colour that reflects the abstract quality of a balanced pure and harmonious nail polish. At least on my skin tone. This is a great nail polish for WOC. It's chic, professional and if you have VNL - it enhances it to look like you've just had your nails done professionally - giving you a  faux "American manicure" look.

One of my friends is getting married so I've been thinking more and more about Bridal colours. From what I can tell, Essie owns that field but I don't have a lot of Essies. So I think this is a great colour. I'm going to put this on my friend for her engagement shoot. It's definitely classic and fresh enough for a modern bride.





What I liked most about this colour:
It's just so fucking beautiful. A few swatches online show it leaning heavily towards pink but at least on my skin tone it looks like my base nail colour which is great! It's not too pink, not too white. I'm always attracted to milky sheer pinks so I think this is beautiful because it's a great balance between the milkiness and the colour. You don't end up with mannequin hands with this, so that's a bonus.
It's also work appropriate for those in stuffy offices. I don't like "feminine" or "masculine" labels but this is a pretty "feminine" look. Makes your hand look clean and manicured without going to the salon. It isn't streaky (but if you have a pit in your nail it will emphasize that).

Things you should know about it:
It's sheer. Off the bat, all the polishes from this range are. If you don't like sheer or want a sheer with more colour payoff you should probably refrain from buying it. If you have short nails it would look more opaque but if you have VNL then it will show up under the polish. I used 4 coats plus a top coat on these.
The dry time is good, it's not too fast or slow but if you don't have the patience then perhaps you might not like how many layers you need.
It's also self-leveling so that's a good thing but don't go too close to the cuticle. Also, if you have a lot of nudes or sheers like this then it might not be worth spending your money on.

What I didn't like about it:
This is a solid polish, but one thing that I struggled with was the fact it pooled in some of my cuticles and when it does it dries more opaque so it takes away from that natural nail look. So you just need to be a little bit more careful with application or go over it I had the patience to do my nails but you should wait between each coat until it's pretty dry. Good thing it dries quicker. If you don't like that, a 4-coater like this might not be friendly.

WOC Friendly?
YES. I'd buy it again!!

Pictures
All have 1 layer of OPI Nail Envy as base, 4 coats of You Callin' Me A Lyre?, 1 coat of Orly In A Snap quick dry topcoat.

OPI You Callin' Me a Lyre?
Indoors under kitchen lighting
#sigh. This camera is really good outside but sucks indoors. It always distorts my skin colour to make me look really yellow or really ashy. The colour is a pale pink and I think it shows up the best outside in direct sunlight 

OPI You Callin' Me a Lyre?
in doors under kitchen lighting
See? It's got that reallllllly nice fake manicure look. I think it looks pretty close to what someone would think my natural nail would look. I really like this.


OPI You Callin' Me a Lyre?
indoors under kitchen lighting
Has that milkiness I was talking about earlier. I couldn't stop looking at my nails when I was at work haha.

OPI You Callin' Me a Lyre?
Outdoors in "direct" afternoon sunlight
Also, really sorry about them dry cuticles. You never realize it until you take macro shots how bad they are. DON'T WORRY I AM WORKING ON IT.

OPI You Callin' Me a Lyre?
Outdoors in "afternoon" sun
So pretty, it hurts my soul.

Anyways, I think this is a great nude option for me. I absolutely love it and I don't mind doing 3 or 4 coats on this polish. It's just fantastic. I had no problems with removal or staining (not that it would).

peace n love


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, means a lot!!